Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Is RedState Destined to be the next Little Green Footballs?

I attempted to log in to my RedState account the other night only to discover that it had been deleted.

I did a cursory search of the site to see if I could discover why, but didn't find anything. Then again, I only spent about a minute and a half looking for it, anyway.

Even though I was an avid reader of the site, I was an infrequent commenter, and my recollection of my last post there was that I was in a somewhat spirited disagreement with one of the members on some issue or other. I don't recall using profanity, or committing any other violations of the terms of service in force there.

Apparently, someone there with the hook felt otherwise.

As those of you who are regular readers of RedState know, Erick Erickson decided a while back to ban "truthers" and "birthers" from the pages of his site. I am neither, though I do question Obama spending $2 million to hide much of his past.

Fine. RedState is a private site started by Mr. Erickson, and he has the right to ban anyone he wishes for any reason he chooses, or for no reason at all.

My problem with it is that when you become so heavy-handed with the "it's my way or the highway" approach that you start banning conservatives from your "conservative" site with whom you disagree, you begin to move toward Charles Johnson territory, and your credibility will eventually suffer. After all, Little Green Footballs is now a mere shadow of its former self.

I certainly hope RedState isn't heading in that direction, but I have to wonder if Mr. Erickson's having recently landed a TV gig at the Communist News Network doesn't have something to do with all this.

Anyhow, it doesn't much matter to me, as I will no-longer be reading RedState, which I had been doing since the site first began.

That also means I will no-longer be posting links to RedState articles on any of the other blogs I avidly participate in, such as HotAir, NewsBusters, and many others.

I don't put up with or promote speech fascism on the part of liberals, and that goes double when it comes to so-called conservatives.

4 comments:

DCG said...

Wow, Erickson will be working for CNN? That's very disturbing on so many levels...I'm afraid I cannot support him any more for that move alone. He's sold his soul to the racist propaganda devil that is CNN.

Dave said...

DCG,

Yep, he has decidedly "gone over."

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/03/16/heres-my-news-erick-erickson-joins-cnn%E2%80%99s-roster-of-political-contributors/

It would explain much.

Damn, I hate conservative sell-outs.

-Dave

DCG said...

thanks for the link...missed that while on vacay.

I get needing a job to support his fam but seriously, CNN the mosted trusted name in news? Good luck w/that but I for one will not be viewing anything on CNN.

Anonymous said...

Tonight I too had my account deleted by Eric himself. Redstate only supports 2 candidates, Romney and Perry. My problem with the candidates were politely posted up with the headline Rino 12 Step Program.

Below is the post that was banned.

Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our Rino addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable
Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore you and your Rino to sanity
Step 3 - Made a decision to turn your Rino support and trivia over to the care of God as you understood God
Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our Rino
Step 5 - Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our Rino's wrongs
Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have God remove all these Rino defects of character
Step 7 - Humbly asked God to remove our Rino supporting shortcomings
Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make a Redstate admends to them all
Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure true conservative or others
Step 10 - Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly retract our posting
Step 11 - Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for true conservatives to carry the 2012 elections
Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Rino addicts, and to practice these conservative principles in all our affairs

Eric Erickson posted this ...

Well, since you put it that way
Erick Erickson Wednesday, September 28th at 3:49PM EDT (link)
Let me make it clear that I am the power of which you speak in step 2,

in step 3 I made sure I understood myself as that power,

in step 4 I fearlessly determined that one of the great hinderances of our ability to fight the RINOs are the nut jobs who give the rest of us a bad name,

in step 5 admitted to myself that I am right,

got to step 6 and decided you were worth banning,

banned your nutty self in step 7,

and then I sat back down to judge the quick and dead among the RedState community.

When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered. -Dorothy Thompson