Some of the provisions contained within this hideous piece of legislation include:
- All firearms must be eventually registered, not just new ones
- All firearm owners must be licensed by government
- You must supply a current driver's license
- You must be fingerprinted
- You must supply a social security number
- You must be willing to submit to a physical and mental exam any time the government chooses
- Each time you buy or sell a firearm, the sale must be recorded, and you will be charged a $25 fee for updating your records
- The government will have the right to enter your home and check to see if you are storing your firearm(s) in a manner the government finds acceptable
I am not going to get all hot an bothered over this just yet, as Bobby Rush isn't exactly a congressional leader, and he himself was convicted in 1969 on an illegal weapons charge and spent six months in the slammer. As of this posting there are no co-sponsors of HR 45.
My guess is it will languish and be left to die in committee, as the American people are in no mood for additional gun control measures at the moment, particularly those that are so obviously aimed at future confiscation, as Rush's bill so clearly is.
Per his Discoverthenetworks write-up linked above: (bolds are mine)
Rush is also among the staunchest congressional supporters of gun control. He has proposed legislation that would regulate the sale and purchase of bullets. "Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned," said Rush, "…that's the endgame."-Yes, I am quite sure you would, you freedom-hating, gun-grabbing hypocrite.
As noted above, I doubt this lunacy will ever make it out of committee, but given my observations over the last 107 days, anything is possible with this current crop of congress-critters, not to mention the fondness for all things totalitarian exhibited by the Obama administration.
Nonetheless, this most definitely bears watching.